Sunday, December 17, 2006

Compassion in New Orleans


This is a picture of hurricane Katrina just before the eye of the storm hit the coast. It was already producing havoc on shore with the high winds, rain and storm surge.

Severe damage extended over 100 miles from the path of the storm's eye.






This month our word for discussion is "Compassion" and we have an outstanding opportunity to be compassionate with a very needy group of kids. In New Orleans a little over a year ago, hurricane Katrina devastated the schools as well as the lives of countless thousands.

Working with the School Board in New Orleans, I have found a fourth grade class where student after student can relate the horror stories associated with the storm. 2000 elementary students are crowded into a former high school. Note the river wrapping around the area of New Orleans where the school is located, and Hurricane Katrina just about to hit land.

Mrs. Schultz's class is one of eleven fourth grades at Andrew Jackson Elementary School. (A in the map above) Having found Mrs. Schultz, I emailed a few questions about how we might help her and her class. This was her response:

Dear Mr. Mitchell,

"I love the idea behind Circle of Grandparents. Many of our students are now separated from family members that they used to live near by. Many families are still dislocated to other parts of the state or out of state. In St. Bernard, we have always scored lowest on vocabulary. I love the idea of incorporating vocabulary and character.

Now, what can I tell you about my class or myself? I have 22 students. I have some students who actually stayed behind for Katrina. One of my students hung
onto a tree for hours with his parents. Most of my students and myself are still not living in our homes.

We live in 8 X 24 foot travel trailers. The school provided all needed supplies for the students at the beginning of the year. However, now it needs to be replaced by the parents. Are you interested in provided school supplies like paper and so on?

After teaching for 24 years, I had so many teaching resources at my fingertips. I lost it all in Katrina. I had a printer in my classroom and computer software--gone! Let me know what if I am going in the right direction for you. I will then send a list of supplies needed.

Please know how much your thoughtfulness is appreciated. The only thing that has gotten us through this ordeal is the kindness of strangers like yourself.

With appreciation,
Donna Schultz

We will be working with Mrs. Dicke's class on Monday, December 18th to talk about ways we can show compassion to this class. I'll bet we have some great ideas!

No comments: