Friday, September 29, 2006

Wild Animals in Canada

We saw many great examples of wild life in the Canadian Rockies. The Dahl Sheep or Mountain Sheep, Moose, Elk and Bear are shown below. The park rangers asked us to "Respect" the animals by staying at least 100 meters away. I was lucky to have a zoom lens on my camera, so the pictures make the animals look closer than they were.

This family walked right past our car, down the middle of the highway. I think some of them would have come to the car to eat, and that shows somebody was not respecting the rules which ban feeding of wild animals.


This group cut across the road behind our car, and I was able to get out for a shot just as they were jumping down a very steep slope.

This beautiful cow moose was 100 yards away, but never moved while we watched her for five minutes. Again, a telephoto lens is important for getting good wildlife pictures.

The elk was right on the edge of town in Banff, and we shot the picture through an open window.
You asked for a picture of the bear, and here it is. This bear was eating berries, just few hundred yards from the side of the road. We were traveling about twenty-five miles north of Banff, Alberta, Canada at the time, and I zoomed in with my digital camera.

We also tried to respect the environment by not leaving any trash while we traveled through or hiked in the wilderness. Campers have a saying "pack it in and pack it out." That means take everything out of the woods that you bring into it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Mitch, this is Alex Gust. Those pictures are really coll! I can't wait till you come in again!

Be sure to check out my webpage! matmice.com/home/gusto97

Anonymous said...

this is alex again, click my name to go to my webpage

Jim Mitchell (Grandpa Mitch) said...

Thanks Alex. I checked out your website, and it is great. I'm glad to see you using your computer skills. You may be the next Bill Gates!