Thursday, October 26, 2006

Grandpa Mitch on Florida Trip

Grandpa Mitch is on a trip to Florida, going to three cities that I have never visited before - St. Augustine, Daytona Beach and the Kennedy Space Center in Titusville. Each city has many interesting things to see. I hope you enjoy following along with me. I will be posting pictures on our website tomorrow - http://www.mitchellwebs.com/dicke.htm. Click on Grandpa Mitch's Trips when you get to the page.

Southwest Airlines flight took me from Columbus to Orlando, Florida, the site of Disneyland. I didn't stop there. I rented a car and drove east to the coast, arriving at St. Augustine about 6:30 pm. St. Augustine is the oldest city in the United States, having been founded by Ponce de Leon during his quest for the fountain of youth. He discovered the area in 1513, and claimed it for Spain. Between 1513 and 1563 Spain lau;nched six expeditions to settle Florida, but all failed. Finally, King Phillip II of Spain sent his most experienced admiral, Don Pedro Menendez as Governor of Florida. He arrived off the coast on August 28th, 1565 on th Feast Day of St. Augustine. Eleven days later, he and 600 soldiers and settlers landed at the site of the Timucuan Indian village of Seloy. He quickly built a fort at the villiage and renamed it St. Augustine.

I’m lucky so far, because the weather is beautiful – clear skies and 70 degrees. I was able to eat outside last night at Harry's Seafood Grill, where I met a man and his wife who had just sailed their sailboat from Nova Scotia in Canada to St. Augustine. They had some great stories to tell.

More information will follow, after I tour the city today. It's only 5:45 am, and I'm waiting for the hotel restaurant to open.

No comments: